Sunday 16 August 2009

Baby Blue : : A spiral baby blanket




Well, I promised to post the pattern when I got round to writing it, so here it is, free and available to anyone who dares.


This crochet pattern is really easy, so if you are a beginner at crochet, it's well worth having a go at it.

Materials

3 x 100g balls of DK or Sport weight wool in colour of your choice
1 x 50g ball of DK or Sport weight wool in contrasting colour for edging

1 x 4mm (G) crochet hook

Gauge

Another reason that this is a beginner friendly pattern is that really the gauge doesn't matter, in fact, if you want to use heavier wool and a larger hook it will work out just as well, as long as you have a fabric that you are happy with, you can also make this as large as you like, my version was made pram size, like a small mat, but more wool and you can make a huge one if you like, you just keep going.

Abbreviations
Ch chain stitch
Ss slip stitch
Dc double crochet

Rnd round

*******Very important edit*****
The pattern was written in British english, so the DC (double crochet) in American English is actually a SC(single crochet)**

Begin!...
Ch 4 and join with Ss to make a ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 7 , 1 Dc into ring, [Ch 6, 1 Dc into ring] 5 times, joint to th first Ch of th round with Ss

Rnd 2: 1 Ss into each of next 3 Ch [ Ch 4, 1 Dc into next 6 Ch loop] 6 times

Rnd 3 : [Ch 4, 2 Dc in next 4 Ch space, 1 Dc into next Dc] 6 times

Rnd 4: [Ch 4, 2 Dc into next 4 Ch space, 1 Dc into each of next 2 Dc, skip 1 Dc] 6 times

Rnd 5: [Ch 4, 2 Dc into next 4 Ch space, 1 Dc into each of next 3 Dc, skip 1 Dc] 6 times

Rnd 6: [Ch 4, 2 Dc into next 4 Ch space, 1 Dc into each of next 4 Dc, skip 1 Dc] 6 times

Rnd 7: [Ch 4, 2 Dc into next 4 Ch space, 1 Dc into each of next 5 Dc, skip 1 Dc] 6 times

Continue working rounds as you have been doing increasing by 1 Dc each time as you can see above, until you reach the desired size for your blanket.

When you reach the desired size for your blanket, change to the contrast colour and work one round of even Dc stitches (one in each stitch, no increasing, no chain stitches etc)

**at this point, if you don't know how to surface crochet, take a look at this tutorial before you continue on the blanket**

With the contrast colour go back to the center of your blanket and surface crochet round the center circle (as you can see in the first picture). Then surface crochet along the inside of one of the spirals, following the line of holes...


Repeat for each spiral as you can see and it should look like this....


There you have it, a simple pattern that doesn't take much time or much concentration.... or even much skill in crochet.

Have fun giving it a go, if you have any problems or corrections feel free to contact me.

32 comments:

Claire said...

Oh what a cute looking (and easy!) blanket! I'd love to give it a go :)

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm a little confused about the start of round 2, could you maybe post a close up of the center of the blanket please?

thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi :) I'm just Quilla@gmail.com

Thanks! (and i love the blanket, i'm excited to be trying it out!)

Ugla said...

A beautiful blanket :-)

Heidi said...

Lovely! Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

can't wait to try this for my brothers new baby

Unknown said...

I am also confused about how the center starts. I have attempted this 4 separate times. Do you chain 7 prior to starting each round? Seriously confused...

thanks,
R
rlnourse@gmail.com

Wendy said...

I am also having a bit of trouble on the start... do you need to ss at the end of the row, at the beginning ch or do you work through since it is a spiral? For some reason mine is cupping like a beanie or a cap...

saralexis said...

I found I needed to add two, rather than one, stitches to each pattern- in order to make it lie flat. With one it was rapidly becoming a tea cosy! Basically you should start your chain of four about four stitches from the chain in the row below, if you're drifting further away then add an extra stitch for every pattern in that round. I ended up with several 'adjustment' rows where I needed three added stitches... But they don't show at all- and without them it wasn't flat. I suspect that some patent of increases such as '1 then 2 then 3' is needed,, but it worked fine to fly by the seat of my pants!

saralexis said...

Oh- and don't slip stitch in between rounds, just carry on. I put a bit if coloured yarn in between stitches on my first pattern to keep track.

saralexis said...

My last comment didn't get published, but I have photos f my completed blanket if you like other examples. I did tweak the pattern a bit, but it's definitely your design and it looks great- many many thanks for putting it online... So much easier to tweak a pattern than make one up from scratch!

Arrafel said...

If you are having difficulty starting the blanket check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjvEK_cjf9A. Its for a hat, but watching the first few seconds of it helped me a lot. Very similar, but without the chain in between HDC's.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am making a baby blanket for my sister's baby boy. I loved your pattern, but I'm having so much difficulty with it. The pattern get's lumpy or twisty and the holes from the chains are not spiraling.

Does the spiral happen as you continue along? After I get to row 4 I have to take the whole thing out and start all over. I don't know how it's supposed to look :(

Please help! my e-mail to reply to is kareese@monetmassage.com

Thanks so much!

Jules said...

This is very lovely. Just a small correction, a UK dc is the equivalent of a US sc. A US hdc is the equivalent of a UK htr.

Unknown said...

Well, that is the most unique pattern I've seen lately! I pinned it on my board so more people would find your instructions.

http://pinterest.com/nurseryideas/baby-crochet/

If you would rather I didn't, just contact me via the addy posted on the footer of my website and I'll take it right down.

Jan
Unique Baby Nursery Ideas

Amanda said...

I am completely lost. Mine keeps turning out like a spaced out flower, not a spiral... When you say to do 2 DC in the next chain sp you mean the large space you made with the 4 chain in the round before right? I guess I don't get how I can get a spiral from it, it's just making a bunched up spaced out flower looking thing... :-(

Unknown said...

I am doing the pattern exactly as written and I can see the spiral design starting to form and I'm only on round 10, but the problem I am having is that it isn't laying completely flat, the outside row wants to curl upward, I'm hoping that as I continue on and the blanket gets bigger it will lay flat on it's own. Maybe adding the surface stitches will keep the last row from turning up.

Unknown said...

Frankie - my first attempt did the same thing. What had happened was I had used the wrong stitches (uk vs us) and when I changed the blanket was fine

Unknown said...

Hi Deborah, yes, I think I'm using the wrong stitch. I was doing the hdc (US) because in the pattern there was an editors note that said that dc in UK was hdc in US. I have since found out that dc in UK is actually sc in US, lol. I also received an email from Johanna and she said that I was probably using the wrong stitch. I haven't had time to work on the pattern but will start sometime this coming week. Thank you for your help.

Unknown said...

Ok, so I couldn't wait until this coming week. I ripped out the ten rounds that I had already done and using the same yarn (lion brand pound of love) and a G hook the blanket is turning out and I haven't had to make any adjustments to the pattern at all. Oh, I'm using the US sc for the stitch, oh what a difference a stitch makes, lol. Once I get the blanket done I will attempt the surface crochet, hopefully I will be able to do. Thank you for such a cute and easy (once I got help with the stitch, lol) blanket, my daughter-in-law is going to love it.

Unknown said...

Ok, so I couldn't wait until this coming week. I ripped out the ten rounds that I had already done and using the same yarn (lion brand pound of love) and a G hook the blanket is turning out and I haven't had to make any adjustments to the pattern at all. Oh, I'm using the US sc for the stitch, oh what a difference a stitch makes, lol. Once I get the blanket done I will attempt the surface crochet, hopefully I will be able to do. Thank you for such a cute and easy (once I got help with the stitch, lol) blanket, my daughter-in-law is going to love it.

Anonymous said...

How about using two colors to make it look like a peppermint? Not sure how though.

Unknown said...

You could get a red and white self stripping wool :) or just have 3 white and 3 red balls on the go to make each section as a pick up and put down thing.

I think that would look marvellous!

Unknown said...

Hi Johanna, hope you don't mind but I pinned your blanket on pinterest. Here is the link, it links directly back to this blog. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern, I know i've said it before but I really do love this blanket.

http://pinterest.com/skyelasaunt/pins/

Janis RB said...

Love it. It is turning out beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Mine looks like a flower motif. I'm already on row 7. I've done single crochets instead of dc...so that's not it. All the chain 4s have created holes and corners, if you will. It's a six-sided granny square. Anyone have any new ideas about what I have done wrong? I've read all the comments and it doesn't seem to answer my question. Thanks! Cute pattern though.

Anonymous said...

I see it now!!! Yay!! As the rounds progress (passed round seven, I see) it starts making the spiral and it all makes sense! I'm going to press on!

enLethe said...

I just finished a version of this that looks like a flower, which you can see here: http://pocketnotebook.blogspot.com/2013/06/spiral-baby-blanket.html?m=1

Amanda Gilmore said...

Can anyone suggest a weight / yarn / need size for making this as a rug?

Amanda Gilmore said...

Can anyone suggest a weight/yarn and hook size for making this as a rug? I think it would look beautiful on my floor! :)

kddomingue said...

Hi! The blanket is adorable, very unique! I'd love to put it on my to-do list but the image shack banner running down the page obscures some of the instructions. Is there a way to get rid of the banner? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Anonymous said...

norasue1994@hotmail.com I am a very super beginner! This is the first thing I have ever tired to make and I really dont understand the second row....Help please :D